The Red Cedar Award is BC’s Reader’s Choice Award for children in grades 4-7. If you missed last year’s gala, i.e. the party at which authors spoke to an enraptured audience of readers, the winners (one each in the fiction and information categories) were announced, everybody danced to a Newfie song, and copious amounts of cupcakes were consumed, you can catch up here. Just remember to mark this year’s gala in your schedule.
Word must have spread in the writing community, because this year’s gala has quite the line-up of nominated authors who plan to attend and speak. Here’s the official announcement from Red Cedar, courtesy of Kari (Red Cedar board member):
The annual gala for the Red Cedar Awards will take place on May 7 in the Alma Van Dusen room of the VPL Central Library. The YRCA Society of BC committee is very excited to announce that the following Red Cedar nominees will be attending the event:
- Dan Bar-el with Audrey (Cow); Tundra.
- Becky Citra with Finding Grace; Second Story Press.
- Glen Huser with The Elevator Ghost; Groundwood Books.
- Kate Jaimet with Dunces Rock; Orca.
- Richard Scrimger with Zomboy; Harper Collins.
- Nick Gray and Laura Scandiffio with Escape from Tibet; Annick Press.
- Michelle Mulder with Every Last Drop: Bringing clean water home; Orca.
- Nikki Tate and Dani Tate-Stratton with Take Shelter: At home around the world; Orca.
- Kira Vermond and Julie McLaughlin with Why We Live Where We Live; Owl kids.
We are also very happy to announce that Kidsbooks will be supporting and attending the gala, ensuring that copies of the nominated titles will be available to purchase on the spot by attendees.
Keep up to date with the latest Red Cedar activities on our blog at redcedaraward.ca!