Hello, good people of the bookish internet!
This month we are hosting two readalongs on our blog! The first is a readalong for Clariel by Garth Nix, hosted by Janet and Nafiza!
The second one is a readalong that I’m hosting for “Unspoken“, the first book in Sarah Rees Brennan’s The Lynburn Legacy:
Kami Glass loves someone she’s never met . . . a boy she’s talked to in her head ever since she was born. She wasn’t silent about her imaginary friend during her childhood, and is thus a bit of an outsider in her sleepy English town of Sorry-in-the-Vale. Still, Kami hasn’t suffered too much from not fitting in. She has a best friend, runs the school newspaper, and is only occasionally caught talking to herself. Her life is in order, just the way she likes it, despite the voice in her head.
But all that changes when the Lynburns return.
The Lynburn family has owned the spectacular and sinister manor that overlooks Sorry-in-the-Vale for centuries. The mysterious twin sisters who abandoned their ancestral home a generation ago are back, along with their teenage sons, Jared and Ash, one of whom is eerily familiar to Kami. Kami is not one to shy away from the unknown—in fact, she’s determined to find answers for all the questions Sorry-in-the-Vale is suddenly posing. Who is responsible for the bloody deeds in the depths of the woods? What is her own mother hiding? And now that her imaginary friend has become a real boy, does she still love him? Does she hate him? Can she trust him? — [X]
Basically: FANTASY! FRIENDSHIP! FEMINISM! FEMINIST ROMANCE! DID I MENTION FRIENDSHIP? WE HAVE IT ALL! JOIN US!
The book is a breezy 370 pages long has six parts, and discussion posts will have every at the end of each week, with one extra post before the month is up:
- October 7th: Part 1 ( to ease us into the awesome world that Brennan has built here. Sorry-in-the-Vale is definitely one of my favourite fictional places and I’m hoping others feel the same way.
- October 14th: Parts 2 and 3, because the action is picking up at this point.
- October 21st: Parts 4 and 5, because you are definitely racing through these bits.
- October 28th: Part 6, to slowly, anxiously make our way to the end of this fabulous first book.
- October 31st: Introduction to the next readalong for the second book in the series, “Untold”.
Since our first discussion post will be this Friday and we’re only covering Part 1, there’s plenty of time to run to the library and catch up! Also, this isn’t a classroom setting, so feel free to react with GIFs, tears, and shorn locks of hair pressed into lockets.
Happy Monday, unicorns!