Top Ten Tuesday is a meme created by The Broke and the Bookish.
I don’t need to say it, do I? I want more protagonists who are disabled, Indigenous, POC, or queer, written by #ownvoices authors. Beyond that, here’s what makes me want to pick up a book.
- Friendship. Seriously, well-developed friendships where both/all the friends are what my teachers used to call round characters are my jam.
- Sibling and familial relationships. If friendship is my jam, sibling/familial relationships are my marmalade: sweet and satisfying with a zing that somehow always manages to surprise.
- Courage/hope/nobility/pure hearts/whatever you want to call it, I’m a complete sucker for characters who 110% genuinely care and do their best to do well by others.
- Indomitable personalities – the character who survives and keeps on thriving. Out-of-the-box thinkers, schemers, instigators who are who they are and bend the world to their will.
- Artistic endeavours. If I can’t be in a play or in choir or taking drawing classes or [fill-in-the-blank-here], the next best thing is to experience creative pursuits vicariously. Let me experience that perspective tilt when a character sees the world – events, people, their surroundings – via the medium of their chosen art, whatever that art may be.
- First lines are very important to me and honestly set the tone for the entire novel. If the first line is intriguing enough, I will at least start the novel.
- Settings. If the setting is different, I will give it a try no matter the genre of the novel. I frequently read books outside of my comfort zone simply because I like the setting.
- The back copy is super important to me so I wish people would pay more attention when writing them. Sloppy back copies make me step away no matter how intriguing the cover. I can appreciate the cover without having to read the book, you know?
- If the book is an unconventional format; if the book engages with the boundaries and limitations of book and pushes against these in order to become something more, I’m in.
- If the book is written by a friend, it can be about frogs in the Amazon forest and I’d read it because I’m loyal like that.