Hardcover, 32 pages
Published April 4th 2017 by Clarion Books
Source: Raincoast Books
- Oh the art in this one is so glorious.
- I got an unbound proof of this one and I am so tempted to frame some of the pages because ahhh, the pretty is very pretty.
- Anyway, Pandora is a wolf-kinda creature, a fox? Yes let’s go with a fox. And she lives in what is essentially a wasteland. She lives alone and honestly I wanted to know what sustains her because there don’t seem to be anything green or blue.
- What does she eat? How does she survive?
- She has no company for reasons no one gets into–it is a picturebook–until one day an injured bird falls from the sky.
- She takes care of this bird and helps it get better. Makes it into a little friend until this little friend flies away forever, breaking her heart.
- But worry not, this friend collected seeds etc from places which grow by magic until suddenly Pandora is living in tree and there is green everywhere.
- Obviously leaps in logic.
- I am an adult so I could not turn off the part of my brain that said–how did this happen?
- The kids might not question it though.
- I wouldn’t be so sure of it though. Kids can ask the darnedest questions as we all know.
- The art is really glorious.
Hardcover, 32 pages Published March 7th 2017 by Harry N. Abrams Source: Raincoast Books This book is beautifully packaged. With a red cloth spine and the title in gold, it is definitely one of the better looking books out there. Moving on to the contents of the book itself, the picturebook is written in verse […]
I use a lot of sing-along books in my story times, especially with my toddlers. You know the ones I’m taking about – Old Macdonald Had a Farm, The Wheels on the Bus, If You’re Happy and You Know It, etcetera etcetera. These illustrated songs and nursery rhymes are a great way to engage wiggly […]
Bear and Hare Go Fishing Bear and Hare are an adorable pair, and in this instalment of Emily Gravett’s charming series, Bear and Hair try their hands (er, paws) at fishing! Bear is less than successful, reeling in pretty much everything but fish, but he doesn’t give up, and his patience is eventually rewarded with […]
Hardcover, 40 pages Expected publication: May 23rd 2017 by Tundra Books (NY) Source: Publisher Isabelle Arsenault’s Colette’s Lost Pet is an ode to the imagination and the willingness of children to accept and adopt. Colette has moved to a new neighbourhood where she knows no one and no one knows her. Her mother won’t let her get […]
Hardcover, 32 pages September 16, 2016 : Orca Books Source: Orca Books What happens when one small boy picks up one small piece of litter? He doesn’t know it, but his tiny act has big consequences. From the minuscule to the universal, What Matters sensitively explores nature’s connections and traces the ripple effects of one child’s […]
As an on-call librarian I sometimes get called in to cover a storytime at the last minute. I can find myself in a branch I’m not familiar with, in a neighbourhood I might not know very well. Family story times can be particularly challenging for a substitute librarian, because you don’t typically have any idea […]
The rabbi said to Yossi, Isaac, and Benny, “You must come back to play for out Hanukkah party this year. Now don’t forget!” So we’re about half a year away from Hanukkah, and it’s definitely not winter anymore, at least not in my corner of the world. (Sunshine! Warm breezes! At last!) But I’m currently […]
Hardcover, 48 pages Published February 14th 2017 by National Geographic Society Source: Publisher With the way the world is going, it might not be an exaggeration to say that the only glimpses future generations will have of wild animals will be in books and recordings or perhaps highly exclusive zoos. National Geographic kids has used […]
Jan Thomas gets kids. Like, really, really gets kids. Her books are, by and large, some of the absolute best story time books I’ve ever encountered. The illustrations are absolute perfection, with simple shapes, bright colours and bold black outlines, making them ideal for sharing with a large audience. The text is brief and typically […]