- Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion by Jane Austen
- Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho
- Check, Please! by Ngozi Ukazu – and it is Nursey’s birthday today!
- Always Human by walkingnorth
- all the Mangoverse books by Shira Glassman
- Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertelli
Middle grade romances:
- Howl’s Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
- The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope
- Beauty and the Beast by Max Eilenberg and Angela Barrett
- Beauty and the Beast by Marianna and Mercer Mayer
- Text Talk by merlywhirls
- World Ain’t Ready by idiopathicsmile
- Carry On by Rainbow Rowell
- The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
- Bite Me! by Dylan Meconis
I keep telling people that I like romances and I do but now that I look into the books I have marked as faves or read in the recent past, romances play a v. small part in the narrative overall. However, I really do like romances. Here are the ones that were more memorable to me:
- Skipbeat by Yoshiki Nakamura
Don’t even talk to me if you are a Kyoko/Shou shipper because you will get the cut. Seriously. Ren and Kyoko for EVER.
- Darest duology by Andrea K Host
I adore Host’s romances because slow burn is always the best burn. Yes I said it because it is true.
- The Darkest Minds trilogy by Alexandra Bracken
Yes of course I love the actual story of the trilogy but the romance was all sorts of delicious.
- Eon duology by Alison Goodman
Things were just really complicated, okay? But I liked them that way.
- Chime by Franny Billingsley
Briony and Eldric were all kinds of magic together.
- The Spiritwalker trilogy by Kate Elliott
My FAVE romance ever. I need to reread this series.
- Immortal Beloved trilogy by Cate Tiernan
What if you are faced by the son of the man who killed your entire clan a couple of hundred years ago? What do you do if you are kind of attracted to him? This trilogy does its best to answer that question.
- Dreaming Death by J. Kathleen Cheney
I hate whoever at Roc canceled this series because now I probably will never find out what happens between the two protagonists.
- Lady Julia series by Deanna Raybourn
This is an adult mystery series and it contains a very intriguing romance. I liked it.
- Sorcerer to the Crown – Zen Cho
I mean, you gotta read this to know this.
- Veronica Speedwell – Deanna Raybourn
Look, this is a brilliant way to subvert gender and have fun doing it.
- Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz: My absolute favourite romance of all time because the more I think about it the more Ari reads as demisexual and then I love them even more.
- Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Córdova: Alex and [DETRACTED BECAUSE I NEED PEOPLE TO READ THE DAMN BOOK AND FIGURE IT OUT] are just the best and I can’t wait to read more of them in the sequel.
- Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour: Emi and Ava have the most chill romance you are allowed to have in fiction without it being boring. Their story is just so easy to sink into and it’s a relationship that makes me picture blue skies and warm winds and everything good about summer. *swoon* I need to re-read this one.
- Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli: Speaking of books to read during the summer … Also, I can’t freaking wait for the movie!!!
- The Perilous Life of Jade Yeo by Zen Cho: Jade is one of the best female characters I’ve ever read and the character she ends up with? *sigh* Look, I was rooting for him to be with her, but never in a million years actually did I actually think they’d end up together BUT THEN ALL MY DREAMS CAME TRUE! I’ve learnt that anyone who thinks wish-fulfillment is a bad thing probably had a lot of chances to see themselves in romances, so *rolls eyes* I don’t care what they think. Read! This! Novella!